Friday, June 12, 2015

Elder Harward's first letter home!


June 12, 2015
Hello Family and Friends!
 Akwaaba! That actually means hello in Ghana. The first flight to Amsterdam was pretty long bu luckily I met up with one Elder before the flight so we talked for a little bit and then we met up with another Elder on the flight so that was cool. I was surprised that they offered  alcohol, wine, coffee, tea, etc. It blew my mind. I was just used to soda and water and that's what I asked for, haha. One of the ladies could tell I was a missionary and she asked me where I was going, and I said Ghana. She said wow, and asked if I knew the language. I told her I was going to learn it over there. At Amsterdam we me up with 7 other Elders and that was really cool. We called home and then went to the gate. However our gate changed so we had to go from E22 to F9 which was pretty far away, but it gave us some time to talk. On the flight to Ghana all the Elders and I were tired so we slept a little bit on this flight but it was nice because the flight wasn't so crowded. When we arrived in Ghana, I was so excited to see Ghana and to actually be in Africa!



The Welcome Sign at the Ghana Airport
The Elders and I walked out and it was so hot and humid, so it was definitely different than I am used to. Funny story., so the MYC driver told us not to give money to anyone because it would be a scam. But this guy came up to me (of course) and says hey give me a tip and I'll carry your bags and everything. Of course I said no and told him our driver said no too, but he kept following us to the van. He even tried to get the other Elders to pay him too. He stayed and stared us while we were in the van, but eventually our driver told him to get lost. I loved the drive to the MTC. Ghana is so green and lush, it's incredible. I was amazed at the view. We were all staring at the roads and everything around us. When we arrived at the MTC we met the MTC president and we got our name tags and we moved up to our rooms. We had to go to the top floor and I met my companion Elder Chinedu. He is from Nigeria and is going to the Cape Coast Mission with me. He is really cool. 
( He is the one in the picture with me)


Elder Harward and Elder Chinedu


The MTC Chapel Area
Ghana is great and I am loving every minute of it. The best part of the MTC is the Elders and Sisters who smile and give me a firm handshake.It's so great that the gospel connects us and really allows us to separate stereotypes and I love it. Well, I hope that you all are doing well and that you are all having fun adventures in Utah. The gospel is true. I am so excited that I get to serve these wonderful people and I am learning so much already. I definitely have my struggles but I am so glad that I get to rely on the Savior's Atonement and it truly is a blessing. The English is a little bit different for sure but I am learning and my companion and I are working things out together.I am so grateful that I get to be a missionary. I hope you have a great rest of the week and know that I keep you guys in my prayers. Have a great rest of the week. :)
Love, Elder Harward
Elder Harward playing football!



No comments:

Post a Comment